Leading the Way in Cardiovascular Care
The interdisciplinary approach to heart disease at Grand Strand Medical Center provides some of the best results in South Carolina. Together, the nursing staff, cardiologists, cardiac surgeons, cardiac anesthesiologists and support staff provide innovative cardiac care for the region.
- 12 cardiologists (including five interventional), two cardiothoracic surgeons and two cardiac anesthesiologists on staff.
- Over 5,000 heart surgeries performed with success rates exceeding state and national averages.
- Over 2,000 cardiac catheterization patients, 700+ interventional procedures and 7,000 total procedures annually.
- Ranked number one in cardiac surgery in South Carolina for 2010, 2011 and 2012 by HealthGrades.
- Door-to-Balloon time (the time elapsed between first entering the hospital to restoring blood flow to the blocked arteries using angioplasty and stents) averages 43 minutes over a 12-month period, significantly less than the U.S. Gold Standard of 90 minutes or less.
- Top Performer on Key Quality Measures: heart attack, heart failure – 2011 (The Joint Commission).
- Minimally invasive adult cardiac and thoracic surgery including valve repair and replacement.
The 90,000 square foot Heart Center consolidates cardiac services for convenient, efficient and compassionate care.
- Registration – A dedicated entrance for registration.
- Pre/Post Catheterization – A unit for patients undergoing a cardiac catheterization.
- Echo/EKG Room – Echocardiograms are used to detect changes in structure and motion of the heart. An EKG is a technique to record the electrical impulses of the heart’s activity.
- Three cardiac catheterization laboratories – Cardiologists perform diagnostic and interventional cardiac catheterizations to diagnose heart disease and treat through angioplasty and stent placement.
- Electrophysiology laboratory – An electrophysiologist performs diagnostic and treatment procedures for abnormal heart rhythms or arrhythmias. The EP lab has a sophisticated 3-D mapping system to make a computerized map of the heart’s chambers and one of the only biplane (two-level) fluoroscopy units in the region. Implantation of pacemakers and defibrillators also takes place in the EP lab.
- Intensive Care Units – Two eight-bed units for critically ill patients suffering from heart, stroke, pulmonary and other major medical problems.
- Progressive Care Unit – A 24-bed unit for patients from the intensive care unit who require more specialized care before transferring to a general unit.
- Eight bed cardiovascular intensive care unit for cardiac surgery patients.
To learn more about the Heart Center at Grand Strand Medical Center, please call:
Grand Strand Medical Center encourages you to be a partner in health prevention and safety by taking advantage of free or low cost screening and safety information.
Know Your Numbers
Learn more about the excellent cardiac physicians that practice at Grand Strand Heart Center.
- Services A-Z
- Breast Health Center
- Cancer Care
- Diabetes Management
- Emergency Care
- Heart Center
- Imaging Services
- Lung Cancer Program
- Maternity Center
- Orthopedic Services
- Palliative Care
- Physical Therapy
- Robotic Surgery
- Spine & Neuro Center
- Stroke Center
- Surgical Services
- Trauma Center
- Wound Care