Grand Strand Health Education and Simulation Center is accredited through the Society of Simulation in Healthcare which is the most recognized accreditation for Simulation today. Our simulation center will provide incredible learning opportunities for our General Surgery residents. Residents can follow the ACS/APDS Surgery Resident Skills Curriculum to practice basic skills, advanced procedures and team based skills.
General Surgery Residents will also train on the Fundamentals of Laparoscopic Surgery (FLS) Trainer to facilitate the development of skills required during laparoscopic surgical procedures. In addition the FLS, Grand Strand offers skills training in an immersive virtual environment using the da Vinci Skills Simulator.
The simulation lab maximizes learner experience by using multiple modalities including hybrid simulation to combine patient care and procedure skills into simulated clinical encounters.
We currently offer:
- SimMan Essential, a full bodied high fidelity wireless Patient Simulator for all simulated clinical experience
- Simulaid, mid fidelity full bodied Patient Simulator
- Low fidelity full bodied Trauma Manikin
- Various part task trainers for procedures skills training
- FLS Surgical Simulator
- da Vinci Skills Simulator
Example of Simulation Cases*:
- ACLS Mock Codes
- Airway management
- Asepsis and instrument identification
- Basic laparoscopy skills
- Central line insertion and arterial lines
- Chest tube and thoracentesis
- Knot tying
- Laparoscopy skills
- Urethral and suprapubic catheterization
- Team based training
- Trauma simulations
*All are subject to change from time to time.
For additional information about our Simulation Lab, please contact
Cesar Pastrana, MS, CHSE
Simulation Lab Coordinator
Phone: (843) 692-1598