Research and publication are important components of the educational process and a key mission of the Internal Medicine Program. As a result, many of our residents publish in peer-reviewed journals or present their work at national professional meetings.
Dr. Abimbola Chris-Olaiya presenting his poster New Onset Type 1 Diabetes and Hypothyroidism presenting as constipation and diabetic ketoacidosis in a patient on Nivolumab therapy at Society for General Internal Medicine Southern Regional Meeting held in New Orleans.
Grand Strand Internal Medicine resident Dr. Navya Nambudiri presenting her poster A 30 year woman with an uncommon breast mass at Society for General Internal Medicine Southern Regional Meeting held in New Orleans.
Grand Strand Internal Medicine resident Dr. Bryan Doherty giving his oral presentation on Acute exacerbation of Crohn's Disease Refractory to Tacrolimus therapy at the South Carolina ACP Meeting held in Charleston.
Dr. Chuck Frost, Internal Medicine Resident, presenting his poster Beware of Dog: A Case of Vibro Alginolyticus in a Dog Bit Wound at the South Carolina ACP Meeting held in Charleston.
Grand Strand Internal Medicine resident Dr. Thuy Pham showcasing her poster The PFO Paradox of a Cryptogenic Stroke at the South Carolina ACP Meeting held in Charleston.
Grand Strand Internal Medicine resident Dr. William Blackman giving his oral presentation Systolic Heart Failure and Left Ventricular Thrombus Presenting as Abdominal Pain at the South Carolina ACP Meeting held in Charleston.
Grand Strand Internal Medicine resident Dr. Amir Yosef showcasing his poster End Stage Liver Disease Due to Autoimmune Hepatitis at the South Carolina ACP Meeting held in Charleston.
Grand Strand Internal Medicine Resident Dr. Brenda Sandoval showcasing her poster of Spontaneous Gastric Fundus Perforation: An Unusual Cause of Acute Stroke at the South Carolina Medical Association Annual Meeting.
Dr. Joshua Myers explaining his poster on Delayed Cardiac Tamponade Complicating Radiofrequency Ablation for Atrial Flutter at the South Carolina Medical Association Annual Meeting.
2017 Scholarly Activity
- Doherty B, Nambudiri V, Palmer W. (2017). Update on the Diagnosis and Treatment of Cholangiocarcinoma. Current Gastroenterology Reports. 19:2, 1-8. DOI 10.1007/s11894-017-0542-4.
- Jehle D, Johnson D, Martel T, Molnar J, Lark MC, Falkowitz J, Short R, Plexousakis M, Schmitt R, Nambudiri V. Severe diabetic ketoacidosis presenting with negative serum ketones. Am J Emerg Med. 2017 Jan; 35(1):196.e3-196.e5. doi: 10.1016/j.ajem.2016.07.009
Posters & Presentations
Digestive Disease Week Conference - May 2017, Chicago IL
- Doherty B, Nambudiri V, Hart L, Palmer WC. “A Comparison of Hepatitis C Knowledge and Practices between a Community-Based Hospital and a Tertiary Medical Center with a Web-Based Educational Intervention.”
National Resident Matching Program (NRMP) Annual Meeting - May 2017, New Orleans LA
- Nambudiri V and Diez C. “Take Two: Matching the PGY1 Resident without a PGY2 Position.”
- Diez C and Nambudiri V. “Rethinking Resident Recruitment: A Novel Regional Recruitment Roadshow.”
Association for Hospital Medical Education Institute - May 2017, New Orleans LA
- Diez C and Hayes T. “Recruitment 101: Back to Basics.”
Society for General Internal Medicine Annual Meeting - April 2017, Washington DC
- Doherty B. “A Rare Case of an Isolated Distal Metastatic Extrahepatic Cholangiocarcinoma.”
- Doherty B, Uzoegwu A. “Successful Treatment of Severe Immune Thrombocytopenia as an Extrahepatic Manifestation of Hepatitis C.”
- Nambudiri N, Eagerton D. “Skin Darkening as an Enlightening Clue: An 18 Year Old Male with Autoimmune Polyglandular Syndrome Type 2.”
- Worsham C, Doherty B, Frost C, Pearson A, Kodali B, Nambudiri VE. “Hark the Herald GI Bleed: A rare cause of gastrointestinal bleed requiring emergent surgical intervention.”
Society for General Internal Medicine - Southern Regional Meeting - Feb 2017, New Orleans LA
- Chris-Olaiya A, Alwine I, Duff R, Balanchivadze N. “New Onset Type 1 Diabetes and Hypothyroidism presenting as constipation and diabetic ketoacidosis in a patient on Nivolumab therapy.”
- Nambudiri N, Eagerton D. “A 30 year woman with an uncommon breast mass.”
- Yao Y, Durst C, Balanchivadze N. “Acquired Hepatocerebral Degeneration: An underdiagnosed clinical entity presenting as generalized seizure.”
- Dr. Bryan Doherty was invited to attend the 2017 National Pancreas Foundation Fellows Symposium April 2017 in Grapevine, TX.
2015 - 2016 Scholarly Activity
- Kay Shou-Mei Kane, Vinod E Nambudiri, Alexander J Stratigos: Color Atlas and Synopsis of Pediatric Dermatology, Third Edition. McGraw Hill Professional, 2016
- Timerman D, McEnery-Stonelake M, Joyce CJ, Nambudiri VE, Hodi FS, Claus EB, Ibrahim N, Lin JY. Vitamin D deficiency is associated with a worse prognosis in metastatic melanoma. Oncotarget. 2016 Dec 28. doi: 10.18632/oncotarget.14316. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 28036288
- Nahmias Z, Nambudiri VE, Vleugels RA. Thalidomide and lenalidomide for the treatment of refractory dermatologic conditions. J Am Acad Dermatol.2016 Jul; 75(1): 210-2. doi: 10.1016/j.jaad.2016.03.022.
- Kagha KC, Miller IA, Davis LS. A wheal on the forearm and pruritus. J Am Acad Dermatol.2016 Jul; 75(1):e7. doi: 10.1016/j.jaad.2015.09.072.
- Bae GH, Nambudiri VE, Garibyan L, Sanford S, Huang SJ. Topical Steroid Therapy Educational Video for Eczema. Dermatitis. 2016 May-Jun; 27(3):157-8.
Posters & Presentations
South Carolina American College of Physicians Meeting - Oct 2016, Charleston SC
- Nambudiri VE. “Skinternal Medicine: Cutaneous Manifestations of Systemic Disease.” Oral Presentation.
American College of Physicians Associate and Student Abstract Competition- Oct 2016, Charleston SC
- Blackman W, Collier V. “Systolic Heart Failure and Left Ventricular Thrombus Presenting as Abdominal Pain.”
- Doherty B, Devenyi ZJ, Nambuduri VE. "Pancreatitis in a Recent Immigrant: A Diagnosis to Make You Squirm." (Winner 2nd place, Clinical Vignette Presentations)
- Frost C, Collier V, Bujanda D, Powers J, Nambudiri VE. “A Case of Urethral Fistula and Reoccurring Abscess.”
- Frost C, Balanchivadze N, Coni R, Nambudiri VE. “Notch Your Average Headache: A 43 Year Old Male with a Constellation of Neurologic Symptoms.”
- Herschel A, Eagerton D: "A Therapeutic Seesaw in Male Hypogonadism: Can Hematocrit and Testosterone Levels Achieve Lasting Balance?"
- Moccia D, Sansbury J, Uzoegwu A. "Guillain-Barre Syndrome Variant with Incidental Markers for Mixed Connective Tissue Disease."
- Nambudiri N, Eagerton D. "A 30 year women with an uncommon breast mass."
- Nambudiri N, Eagerton D. “Chvostek's chin: Chronic postoperative hypocalcemia after total thyroidectomy.”
- Pham T, Becker G, Grinman M, Durst C, Everman A. "The PFO Paradox of a Cryptogenic Stroke."
- Sandoval B, Balanchivadze N. “An Unusual Cause of Acute Stroke-Cerebral Air Embolism from Spontaneous Gastric Fundus Perforation.”
- Smith III TJ, Nambudiri VE, Mangano A, Balanchivadze N, Patel B, Powers JN, Webb J. “Beyond the Surface: A Case of All Three Stages of Syphilis Presenting Simultaneously.”
- Worsham C, Nambudiri VE, Gelfand S. "All's Swell That Ends Well: A Case of RS3PE Syndrome."
- Yosef A, Doherty B, Patel B, Frost C Nambudiri V, Mangano A. "End Stage Liver Disease Due to Autoimmune Hepatitis."
Society of General Internal Medicine National Meeting Poster Presentations - May 2016, Hollywood FL
- Frost C, Nambudiri N, Pearson A, Glover A, Sahoo DR. “Jaundice, Pruritus, and a ‘Nagging Feeling’: A Case of Klatskin Tumor.”
- Webb J, Nambudiri VE. “A Total Loss: Alopecia universalis presenting in association with Addison’s disease.”
South Carolina Medical Association Annual Meeting Poster Presentations - May 2016, Myrtle Beach SC
- Blackman W, Frost C, Powers J, Head D, Wunder R, Duff R. “TB or Not TB? That Is The Question.”
- Frost C, Nambudiri V, Goldsteen R, Brown J. “A Bleeding Pain: Sepsis to Stromal Sarcoma.”
- Kanoy M, Coni R, Goldsteen R, Balanchivadze N. “Wernicke’s Encephalopathy Complicating Hyperemesis Gravidarum: An Under-Recognized Clinical Entity.”
- Myers J, Balanchivadze N. “Delayed Cardiac Tamponade Complicating Radiofrequency Ablation for Atrial Flutter.”
- Sandoval B, Balanchivadze N. “Spontaneous Gastric Fundus Perforation: An Unusual Cause of Acute Stroke.”
- Smith T, Pearson A, Raynor K. “A Clip of a Case: GI Bleed Due To A Dislodged Hemostasis Clip.”
- Uzoegwu A, Frost C, Nambudiri V, Sherertz R, Grinman M. “Antiphospholipid Syndrome Presenting as TIA: Recognizing A Varied Presentation Based On Location Of Clot Burden.”
Association of Program Directors in Internal Medicine Workshop Session - April 2016, Las Vegas NV
- Nambudiri VE. "The Chief Residents Mini-MBA: Case-Based Lessons in Leadership, Negotiation, and Strategy."
National Cardiovascular Data Registry Annual Meeting Poster Presentation - April 2016, Chicago IL
- Nambudiri VE, Kirkman D, Pappas L, Sotak H, Martel T. “Successful Improvement in Door-To-Balloon Time Following EMS Activation of Interventional Cardiology Laboratory for STEMI Patients.”
AAMC Southern Group on Educational Affairs Regional Meeting Poster Presentations - April 2016, Austin TX
- Nambudiri VE, Glover AF, Bujanda D, Sansbury J, Goldsteen R. "Show and Tell: Developing a Multidisciplinary Longitudinal Visual Diagnosis Curriculum for First Year Internal Medicine Residents."
- Sansbury J, Nambudiri VE, Bujanda D, Goldsteen R. "A Year in the Life: The Role of Staff Chief in a New Internal Medicine Residency Program."
American Academy of Dermatology Annual Meeting - Mar 2016, Washington DC
- Nambudiri VE. “Venture Capital in Dermatology.” Oral presentation at national meeting.
- Nambudiri VE. "Cutaneous Sarcomas." Oral presentation at national meeting.
Society for General Internal Medicine Southern Regional Meeting Workshop Session - February 2016, Atlanta GA
- Nambudiri VE, Goldsteen R. "Teaching the Difficult Resident - Acknowledging, Addressing, and Adapting To Challenging/Difficult Learners"
Society for General Internal Medicine Southern Regional Meeting Poster Presentations - February 2016, Atlanta GA
- Alwine I, Nambudiri N, Mangano A, Balanchivadze N. "Evaluating An Occult GI Bleed: Getting the GIST of the Case."
- Blackman W, Glover A, Karavan M, Goebel E. "A 38 year old African-American male with complete heart block: Cardiac Sarcoidosis."
- Smith III T, Doherty B, Alwine I, Blackman W, Powers NJ, Mangano A, Glover A, Nambudiri V, Balanchivadze N. "A Cryptic Cause of Illness: A Case of Cryptococcoma in an Immunocompetent Individual."
South Carolina American College of Physicians Meeting Poster Presentations - October 2015, Charleston SC
- Alwine I, Dineen K, Becker G, Sansbury J. "The Great Imitator: A Case of Hepatic Hydrothorax Masked by COPD And Right Heart Failure."
- Frost C, Powers J, Sansbury J, Everman D. "Beware of Dog: A Case of Vibrio Alginolyticus in a Dog Bite Wound."
Infectious Disease Society of America Annual Meeting Poster Presentations - November 2015, San Diego CA
- Balanchivadze Nino et al. "Modified Clinical Pulmonary Infection Score as a surrogate tool to guide antibiotic de-escalation in patients with hospital-acquired, healthcare-associated and ventilator-associated pneumonia in intensive care units."
- Smith III, Thomas et al. "Antimicrobial Stewardship and Rapid Diagnostic Testing Bundle for Local Management of Gram-Negative Bloodstream Infections."
South Carolina American College of Physicians Meeting Oral Presentation - October 2015, Charleston SC
- Doherty B, Balanchivadze N, Raynor K. "Acute exacerbation of Crohn’s Disease Refractory to Tacrolimus therapy."