Diabetes Self-Management Education Program
Take Control of Your Diabetes Today! The Diabetes Self-Management Education Program, a department of Grand Strand Medical Center, delivers outstanding services through instructional classes and consults. Our focus is to encourage individuals of all ages to engage in healthy lifestyles while controlling their diabetes.
A referral is not needed for patients to attend our Diabetes Self-Management Education Program classes or individual consults. In addition, insurance will not be accepted.
Our program offers:
- Recognition by the American Diabetes Association
- Certified diabetes educator
- Comprehensive diabetes self-management classes
- Resource for general awareness and diabetes information
- Monthly support group (held the 4th Tuesday of each month)
- Annual diabetes day camp for children
Classes for Diabetes Management
This class is for individuals who have abnormal blood glucose but have not been diagnosed with diabetes. The one-hour class provides an overview of diabetes, risk factors for developing diabetes and lifestyle changes that can prevent and slow development of type 2 diabetes. Fee: $10. Participants receive a certificate for a discounted A1C test.
Comprehensive Diabetes Education Class
This group class is designed for individuals newly diagnosed with diabetes and for those who need additional resources for understanding their diabetes. This class is divided into two sessions. Participants learn how to control their blood glucose through good nutrition, moderate activity, blood glucose monitoring and stress management. Fee: $40. Participants receive a certificate for a discounted A1C test.
Individual Consults for Diabetes Management
Individual appointments can be made with our certified diabetes educator to focus on your specific needs, such as:
- Gestational diabetes education
- Education to help you use your insulin pump effectively
- Insulin therapy instruction
- Carbohydrate counting
- Assistance with pattern management and troubleshooting blood glucose problems
Fee: $25 per 30 minutes ($50 for an hour).
All classes are held at HealthFinders in Coastal Grand Mall (beside Dillard’s and across from Bed Bath & Beyond). If you would like additional information or to register for a class or individual consult, please call Consult-A-Nurse: 843.692.4444.