There is no cure for gout but most symptoms and attacks can be managed with a combination of lifestyle changes and medications. The earlier gout is detected and treated, the better it can be controlled.
The goals of treatment for gout include:
- Managing symptoms of an acute attack
- Decreasing the risk of recurrence by managing uric acid levels
- Preventing complications, such as joint or kidney damage, which can occur with recurrent attacks
Treatment options can vary by individual. Working with a healthcare team is important to help find the treatments that works best for each person.
Treatment may include the following:Lifestyle changesMedicationsAlternative and complementary therapiesOther treatments
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 05/2014 -
- Update Date: 12/05/2014 -