Needle Biopsy: Thyroid
(Fine-Needle Aspiration: Thyroid; Skinny-Needle Biopsy: Thyroid; Coarse-Needle Biopsy: Thyroid; Core Needle Biopsy: Thyroid)
Reasons for Procedure
|© 2011 Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Bruising where the needle was inserted
- Pain after the procedure
What to Expect
Prior to Procedure
- Have blood tests
- Talk to your doctor about your medical history, including any allergies.
Talk to your doctor about any medications you are taking.
You may be need to stop taking some medicines up to one week before the procedure, like:
- Anti-inflammatory drugs (eg, aspirin )
- Blood thinners, like warfarin (Coumadin)
- Clopidogrel (Plavix)
- Arrange for a ride home from the care center.
Description of the Procedure
- Fine-needle aspiration (FNA)—most common
- Coarse-needle biopsy (CNB)
How Long Will It Take?
Will It Hurt?
- If you had FNA, remove the bandage within a few hours. If you had CNB, remove the bandage in a few days.
- Avoid vigorous physical activity for 24 hours.
- Return to normal activities.
- Take pain medicine (eg, Tylenol ) for any discomfort.
- Ask your doctor about when it is safe to shower, bathe, or soak in water.
- Be sure to follow your doctor's instructions.
Call Your Doctor
- Signs of infection, including fever and chills
- Trouble breathing or swallowing
- Excessive neck swelling
- Unusual pain or discomfort
American Thyroid Association http://www.thyroid.org/
Thyroid Foundation of America http://www.allthyroid.org/
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/
Thyroid Foundation of Canada http://www.thyroid.ca/
Ross DS. Fine needle aspiration biopsy of thyroid nodules/instructions for patients undergoing core needle biopsy. Thyroid Foundation of Canada website. Available at: http://www.thyroid.ca/e12b.php . Accessed December 27, 2012.
Thyroid nodules. American Thyroid Association website. Available at: http://www.thyroid.org/what-are-thyroid-nodules . Accessed December 27, 2012.
Thyroid nodule. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/what.php . Updated August 30, 2012. Accessed December 27, 2012.
Thyroid nodules. New York Thyroid Center website. Available at: http://cpmcnet.columbia.edu/dept/thyroid/NodulesHP.html . Accessed December 27, 2012.
Ultrasound-guided fine needle aspiration biopsy of the thyroid. RadiologyInfo.org website. Available at: http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=thyroidbiopsy . Updated July 25, 2012. Accessed December 27, 2012.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 11/2012 -
- Update Date: 11/26/2012 -