|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
Abnormally large growth and deformity of the:
- Hands—rings no longer fit
- Feet—need a bigger size shoe
- Face—bulging of brow and lower jaw
- Jaw—teeth do not line up correctly when the mouth is closed
Skin changes, such as:
- Thickened, oily, and sometimes darkened skin
- Severe acne
- Excessive sweating and unpleasant body order due to enlargement of the sweat glands
- Deepening voice due to enlarged sinuses, vocal cords, and soft tissues of the throat
- Difficulty sleeping due to a blocked airway
- Swelling in the neck
- Fatigue and weakness in the legs and arms
- Joint pain, especially in the jaw
- Irregular menstrual cycles
- Abnormal production of breast milk
- In men: Inability to get or sustain an erection
- Reduce production of GH to normal levels
- Stop and reverse the symptoms caused by excess GH
- Correct other endocrine abnormalities, such as thyroid, adrenal, and sex organs
- Reduce tumor size
- Reduce the level of GH
- Shrink the tumor before surgery
National Institute of Diabetes & Digestive & Kidney Diseases http://www.niddk.nih.gov
Pituitary Network Association http://www.pituitary.org
Canadian Society of Endocrinology and Metabolism http://www.endo-metab.ca
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca
Abrams P, Alexopoulou O, Abs R, et al. Optimalization and cost management of lanreotide-Autogel therapy in acromegaly. Eur J Endocrinol. 2007;571-577.
Acromegaly. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated May 9, 2014. Accessed June 4, 2014.
Acromegaly treatment consensus workshop participants: guidelines for acromegaly management. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2002; 87:4054-4058.
Cook DM. AACE Acromegaly Guidelines Taskforce. American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists medical guidelines for clinical practice for the diagnosis and treatment of acromegaly. Endoc Pract. 2004;10:213-225.
Glustina A, Barkan A, Casanueva FF, et al. Criteria for cure of acromegaly: a consensus statement. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2000;85:526-529.
Katznelson L, Atkinson JL, Cook DM, Ezzat SZ, Hamrahian AH, Miller KK. American association of clinical endocrinologists medical guidelines for clinical practice for the diagnosis and treatment of acromegaly - 2011 update: executive summary. Endocr Pract. 2011;17(4):636-646.
Melmed S. Medical progress: acromegaly. N Engl J Med. 2006;355:2558-2573.
Paisley AN, Trainer PJ. Medical treatment in acromegaly. Curr Opin Pharmacol. 2003;3:672-677.
Sherlock M, Woods C, Sheppard MC. Medical therapy in acromegaly. Nat Rev Endocrinol. 2011;7(5):291-300.
Trainer PJ, Drake WM, Katzneison L, et al. Treatment of acromegaly with the growth hormone-receptor antagonist pegvisomant. N Engl J Med. 2000; 342:1171-1177.
- Reviewer: Kim Carmichael, MD
- Review Date: 06/2014 -
- Update Date: 06/04/2014 -