Research and publication are important components of the educational process and a key mission of the Internal Medicine Program. As a result, many of our residents publish in peer-reviewed journals or present their work at national professional meetings.
Internal Medicine faculty and residents attending 2017 SC ACP Associate and Student Abstract Competition Charleston, SC.
Left to right front row: Vincent Collier MD; Amir Yosef MD; Brenda Sandoval MD; Navya Nambudiri MD; Jessica Cvinar MD; Andrew Mangano DO
2nd row: Amanda Watts DO; Isaac Alwine MD; Jessica Zweig MD; Savannah Desmarais DO;
3rd and 4th rows: Mohamed Faris MD; Tyler Kilgore MD; Abimbola Chris-Olaiya MD; Candace Worsham MD; Steven Allen MD.
Internal Medicine faculty and residents attended Society of Hospital Medicine Annual Meeting May 2017, Las Vegas.
Left to right: Nirlep Patel MD; Jilian Sansbury MD; Andrew Glover MD; Andrew Mangano DO; Nina Balanchivadze MD; Thuy Pham DO; Vincent Collier MD
Dr. Amir Yosef presenting his poster “Copper Deficiency Myeloneuropathy in a 39 Year Old Female” at 2017 SC ACP Associate and Student Abstract Competition.
Dr. Abimbola Chris-Olaiya presenting his poster New Onset Type 1 Diabetes and Hypothyroidism presenting as constipation and diabetic ketoacidosis in a patient on Nivolumab therapy at Society for General Internal Medicine Southern Regional Meeting held in New Orleans.
Grand Strand Internal Medicine resident Dr. Navya Nambudiri presenting her poster A 30 year woman with an uncommon breast mass at Society for General Internal Medicine Southern Regional Meeting held in New Orleans.
Grand Strand Internal Medicine resident Dr. Bryan Doherty giving his oral presentation on Acute exacerbation of Crohn's Disease Refractory to Tacrolimus therapy at the South Carolina ACP Meeting held in Charleston.
Dr. Chuck Frost, Internal Medicine Resident, presenting his poster Beware of Dog: A Case of Vibro Alginolyticus in a Dog Bit Wound at the South Carolina ACP Meeting held in Charleston.
Grand Strand Internal Medicine resident Dr. Thuy Pham showcasing her poster The PFO Paradox of a Cryptogenic Stroke at the South Carolina ACP Meeting held in Charleston.
Grand Strand Internal Medicine resident Dr. William Blackman giving his oral presentation Systolic Heart Failure and Left Ventricular Thrombus Presenting as Abdominal Pain at the South Carolina ACP Meeting held in Charleston.
Grand Strand Internal Medicine resident Dr. Amir Yosef showcasing his poster End Stage Liver Disease Due to Autoimmune Hepatitis at the South Carolina ACP Meeting held in Charleston.
Grand Strand Internal Medicine Resident Dr. Brenda Sandoval showcasing her poster of Spontaneous Gastric Fundus Perforation: An Unusual Cause of Acute Stroke at the South Carolina Medical Association Annual Meeting.
Dr. Joshua Myers explaining his poster on Delayed Cardiac Tamponade Complicating Radiofrequency Ablation for Atrial Flutter at the South Carolina Medical Association Annual Meeting.
2017 Scholarly Activity
- Doherty B, Nambudiri V, Palmer W. (2017). Update on the Diagnosis and Treatment of Cholangiocarcinoma. Current Gastroenterology Reports. 19:2, 1-8. DOI 10.1007/s11894-017-0542-4.
- Smith T, Nambudiri VE. The Clinical Picture: Erythema Ab Igne. Cleveland Clinic Journal of Medicine Forthcoming: accepted 5/22/2017
Posters & Presentations 2017
2017 SC ACP Associate and Student Abstract Competition- Oct 2017- Charleston, SC
- Steven Allen MD, Bryan Doherty MD, Karandeep Shergill MD, Andrew Mangano DO. Symptomatic bradycardia caused by denosumab-induced hypocalcemia in the setting of End Stage Renal Disease
- Cvinar Jessica MD, Abimbola Chris-Olaiya MD MPH, Bryan Doherty MD, Victor Collier MD. Isolated gastric variceal bleeding caused by a pancreatic cancer-associated splenic vein thrombosis.
- Desmarais Savannah DO, Akwaugo Uzoegwu MD, Isaac Alwine MD, David Moccia MD, Joshua Reid MD, Andrew Mangano MD. Severe hypercalcemia! Is it hyperparathyroidism or multiple myeloma?
- Faris Mohamed MD, Nino Balanchivadze MD. Unusual case of hypoxemia: patent foramen ovale with right to left shunting in a patient with normal pulmonary arterial pressure.
- Tyler Kilgore MD, Jilian Sansbury MD, Vinod Nambudiri MD MBA FACP. A Case of Fulminant Saturday Night Palsy: neurogenic shock induced by recreational drug use.
- Nayva Nambudiri MD, Donald Eagerton MD. Skin darkening as an enlightening clue: 18 year old male with autoimmune polyglandular syndrome.
- Navya Nambudiri MD, Mohamed Faris MD, Vinod Nambudiri MD MBA FACP. Visual Diagnosis of Amyloidosis: Multiple Clinical Manifestations of Extensive Plasma Cell Dyscrasia.
- Candace Worsham MD, Anne LaRochelle MD, Joseph Cheatle MD; Vinod E. Nambudiri, MD MBA FACP. Diagnosing a Mass-ive Headache: Detection and Treatment of a Lactotroph Macroadenoma.
- Yao Yuan MD, Brenda Sandoval MD, Andrew Mangano DO, Donald Eagerton MD. Non-islet cell tumor hypoglycemia: A case of persistent hypoglycemia in hepatocellular carcinoma.
- Yosef Amir MD, Bryan Doherty MD, Andrew F. Glover MD, Vinod E. Nambudiri MD MBA FACP. Copper Deficiency Myeloneuropathy in a 39 Year Old Female.
- Jessica Zweig MD, Isaac Alwine MD, Thaddeus Golden MD. Gastrointestinal bleeds are a common complaint and indication for admission to the hospital. However, identifying the source is critical in selecting appropriate treatment and not always readily apparent.
World Congress of Gastroenterology ACG2017 meeting - October 2017- Orlando, Florida
- Doherty, W. Blackman, A. Pearson, N Balanchivandze. Dilated Neo-esophagus Masquerading Around as a Pneumothorax.
- B. Doherty, T. Kilgore, A. Pearson. Aortoenteric Fistula: A Rare Cause of Gastrointestinal Bleed Requiring Emergent Surgical Intervention.
- Doherty, M Parks (RN), C. Frost, K. Raynor. The GIST of a Life-threatening Bleed: A Case of Metastatic Melanoma Seen on Screening Colonoscopy.
- B. Doherty, M. Parks (RN), G. Vukov. A Case of Metastatic Melanoma Seen on Screening Colonoscopy.
- Abimbola Chris-Olaiya, MD; Marwan Samir Abou Gerig, MD. The Effect of Socioeconomic Status on the Development of Non-alcoholic Steatohepatitis: Findings from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) Award
- Abimbola Chris-Olaiya, MD; Steven Allen, MD, Vinod Nambudiri, MD MBA. Immune-Related Gastrointestinal Adverse Events Associated With Anti-programmed Cell Death Antibodies: A Meta-Analysis * Presidential Poster Award
- Marwan SA. MD, Chris-Olaiya A. MD MPH. The Effect of Dietary Patterns on the Development of Non-alcoholic Steatohepatitis: Findings from the National Health Nutrition and Examination Survey (NHANES). *Presidential Poster Award.
12th UVA Annual Conference of Liver Disease and Gastroenterology - June 2017 - Charlottesville, VA
Bryan Doherty, MD; Vinod E. Nambudiri, MD; Leslie Hart, PhD; William Palmer, MD. A Comparison of Hepatitis C knowledge and practices between a community-based hospital and a tertiary medical center with a web-based educational intervention.
South Carolina Medical Association - May 2017 - Charleston, SC
- Allen S; Blackman W; Con R; Duff R. Bilateral Paramedian Thalamic Infarcts: A Likely Occlusion of the Artery of Percheron
- Awwab H; Ata G; Nambudiri V; Balanchivadze N. Toxic cause of pain: S. Agalactiae - an emerging pathogen for necrotizing fasciitis
- Chris-Olaiya A; Blackman W; Trask N. An Awesome Crossover Goes Bad: Catecholaminergic Polymorphic Ventricular Tachycardia (CPVT), a Rare Cause of Exercise Induced Cardiac Arrest
- Cvinar J; Duff R; Balanchivadze N. Dissecting the Diagnosis: DKA With A Killer Headache
- Dennison J; Glover A. Congestive Heart Failure Secondary to Chronic Narcolepsy-Related Amphetaminie Use-A rare cause of heart failure
- Faris M; Baliss M; Kagha K; Coni R; Eagerton D; Kodali B; Nambudiri V. 23 Year Old Female with Stroke: Complications of Severe Uncontrolled Hypertension in Neurofibromatosis type 1
- 7. Kilgore T; Myers J; Sansbury J. Going, Going, Gone! A Case of Vanishing Lung Syndrome ** 2nd place
- Lin E; Frost C; Bumbalo T. Vancomycin-Induced Immune Thrombocytopena and Its Relationship to Life Threatening Intracranial Hemorrhage
- Mercer R; Waring G O; Roberts C J; Jhanji V; Wang J; Filho J S; Hemings R A; Rocha K M. Comparison of Corneal Deformation Parameters in Keratoconus and Normal Eyes Using a Non-contact Tonometer with a Dynamic Ultra-high-speed Scheimpflug Camera ** 3rd place
- Millar C; Smith T; Alwine I; Balanchivadze N; Nambudiri V. Tetanus: A Story of a Rusty Rictus.
- 11. Morris L; Coni, R. Bilateral Hippocampal and Basal Ganglia Infarcts Following Cocaine and Amphetamine Intoxication
- Myers J; Mangano A; Alwine I; Smith T. Metastatic Sinonasal Adenocarcinoma.
- Nambudiri N; Blackman W; Nambudiri V; Balanchivadze N. Cutaneous disseminated hemorrhagic zoster in an immunocompromised patient.
- Smith M, Coni R. AMS: Altered Mental Status and Abnormal Masked Shingles.
Society of Hospital Medicine Annual Meeting-May 2017 - Las Vegas, NV
Thuy Pham, Alwine I, Osmanzai Y, Kodali B . “Internal Jugular Vein Thrombophlebitis: Catheter-related or a Rare Case Of Lemierre's Syndrome Complicated by Immunoglobulin G”
Digestive Disease Week Conference - May 2017 - Chicago, IL
Doherty B, Nambudiri V, Hart L, Palmer WC. “A Comparison of Hepatitis C Knowledge and Practices between a Community-Based Hospital and a Tertiary Medical Center with a Web-Based Educational Intervention.”
Society for General Internal Medicine Annual Meeting - April 2017- Washington DC
- 1. Doherty B. “A Rare Case of an Isolated Distal Metastatic Extrahepatic Cholangiocarcinoma.”
- Doherty B, Uzoegwu A. “Successful Treatment of Severe Immune Thrombocytopenia as an Extrahepatic Manifestation of Hepatitis C.”
- Nambudiri N, Eagerton D. “Skin Darkening as an Enlightening Clue: An 18 Year Old Male with Autoimmune Polyglandular Syndrome Type 2.”
- Worsham C, Doherty B, Frost C, Pearson A, Kodali B, Nambudiri VE. “Hark the Herald GI Bleed: A rare cause of gastrointestinal bleed requiring emergent surgical intervention.”
Society for General Internal Medicine -- Southern Regional Meeting- Feb 2017, New Orleans, LA
- Chris-Olaiya A, Alwine I, Duff R, Balanchivadze N. “New Onset Type 1 Diabetes and Hypothyroidism presenting as constipation and diabetic ketoacidosis in a patient on Nivolumab therapy.”
- Nambudiri N, Eagerton D. “A 30 year woman with an uncommon breast mass.”
- Yao Y, Durst C, Balanchivadze N. “Acquired Hepatocerebral Degeneration: An underdiagnosed clinical entity presenting as generalized seizure.”
Dr. Bryan Doherty was invited to attend the 2017 National Pancreas Foundation Fellows Symposium April 2017 in Grapevine, TX.